1. All including the world seen by you and yourself, the seer of the world, is one
2. All that you consider as I, you, he, she and it, is one only.
3. What you consider to be sentient beings and what you consider to be insentient,
such as earth, air, fire and water is all one.
4. The good which is derived by your considering all as one cannot be had by
considering each as separate from the other. Therefore all is one.
5. The knowledge of the unity of all, is good for you and good for others as well.
Therefore all is one.
6. He who sees "I am separate," "you are separate," "he is separate" and so on, acts
one way to himself and another way to others. He cannot help doing so. The thought
"I am separate, others are separate" is the seed from which grows the tree of
differing actions in relation to different persons. How can there be any lapse from
righteousness for a person who knows the unity of himself with others? As long as
the germ of differentiation is there, the tree of differing actions will flourish, even
unawares. Therefore give up differentiation. All is one only.
7. Ask: "If in the world all things appear different, how can I consider all as one? Is
there any way of gaining this knowledge?" The reply is: "In the same tree we see
leaves, flowers, berries and branches, different from one another, yet they are all one
because they are all included in the word 'tree'. Their root is the same; their sap is
the same. Similarly, all things, all bodies, all organisms are from the same source
and activated by a single life principle." Therefore all is one.
8. Oh good man! Is the statement that "All is one," good or evil? Think for yourself.
Just as the person will always be righteous who regards himself like others and
others like himself, how can any evil attach itself to him who knows himself to be
others and the others to be himself? Tell me if there is any better way for obtaining
good than the knowledge of unity? Certainly other methods cannot be as good as
this one. How can anyone love others more than when knowing them to be himself,
to know them in unity-love as unity, for they are truly one.
9. Who can share the mental peace and freshness of the knower of unity? He has no
cares. The Good of all is his own good. A mother considers her children's well-being
to be her own well-being. Still, her love is not perfect because she thinks she is
separate and her children are separate. The love of a Sage, who has realized the
unity of all, far excels even the love of a mother. There is no other means of gaining
such love than the knowledge of unity. Therefore all is one.
10. Know that the world as a whole is your undecaying body and that you are the
everlasting life of the whole world. Tell me if there is any harm in doing so? Who
fears to go the harmless way? Be courageous. The Vedas teach this very truth. There
is nothing but yourself. All good will be yours. Yea, you become the good itself. All
that others gain from you will be good only. Who will work evil to his own body
and soul? A remedy is applied if there is an abscess in the body. Even if the remedy
is painful, it is meant to do good only. Such will be some of your actions; they will
also be for the good of the world. For that reason, you will not be involved in
differentiation. I put it briefly: The knower of unity will act as one should. In fact,
the knowledge of unity makes him act. He cannot err. In the world, he is God made
visible. All is one.
Preface and content
Next chapter - You